|COOKIES: By using this website you agree that we can place Google Analytics Cookies on your device for performance monitoring.|
28-29 January 2010
St Edmund’s College, Cambridge
The Von Hügel Institute/Capability and Sustainability Network, University of Cambridge, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme/HDRO, are pleased to announce a workshop on ‘Twenty Years of Human Development: the past and the future of the Human Development Index’. The aim of this workshop is twofold: to stimulate further understanding of the last twenty years of the Human Development perspective and to examine proposals for improving its future prospects.
Key-note addresses will be delivered by Sir Richard Jolly and by Dr Francisco Rodríguez, Head of Research of the Human Development Report Office (UNDP) and there will be thematic sessions on:
Session 1 – Human Development: historical roots and conceptual foundations
Session 2 – Human Development and Participation
Session 3 – Local Human Development
Session 4 – Alternatives to the HDI
Session 5 – Education, Agency and Poverty
Session 6 – Communication and Human Development
Session 7 – Policies and Institutions for Human Development
Selected papers address a wide range of issues such as:
- The added-value of the Human Development Approach, in comparison to past and contemporary perspectives, such as Basic Needs, Happiness, Sustainable Development and Participatory Approaches, among others.
- Measurement of human development through quantitative indices, such as the HDI , HPIs, GEM and GDI , as well as proposals for new indicators.
- Assessment of progress in human development in the world over the past fifty years.
- The policy implications of the Human Development Approach, with particular emphasis on how adopting an HD approach affects the formulation of development strategies.
- The role of international organizations in fostering human development.
For registration, please, see: http://www.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/vhi/csc/conferences/hdi-regi.shtml
Workshop fees: Full fee: £120 Reduced rate for students: £45
If you have a question about this list, please contact: Angels Varea. If you have a question about a specific talk, click on that talk to find its organiser.
0 upcoming talks and 2 talks in the archive.
Please see above for contact details for this list.
Other listsGates Conversation Inner Space Talks Series Arab Society Talks
Other talks"The Puzzle of Child Well-being: Many Measures but No Construct" Serre weights and de Rham cohomology of Shimura curves An Experimental Investigation of Flow Control for Supersonic Inlets MeCP2 in the brain and beyond: from biology to disease Intra-tumour heterogeneity in human glioblastoma. No Talk: Summer conference "Mind the Gap"